Re: Maintaining a custom out-of-tree patched Debian kernel for specific hardware

Kumar Appaiah writes ("Maintaining a custom out-of-tree patched Debian kernel for specific hardware"):
> 4. Users will be made aware of the fact that this is Debian with a
> custom kernel without ambiguity.
>
> Now, whenever there is a kernel update in Debian, our team will fetch
> the source of the updated kernel, patch, rebuild and make it available
> in our repository.
>
> Please let me know if the proposed solution is good, else I am open to
> suggestions.

Thank you for asking and for paying attention to the needs of your
users.

This seems like a good approach to me.

One thing you don't explicitly say is how you will distribute the
source code for your custom kernel.  It's sort of left implicit in
your email.  You absolutely must make available the source code.
(Reading your mail I think you probably know this but I wanted to make
it explicit.)

Best would be to provide both (i) a Debian-format source package (.dsc
et al) in your apt repository, so apt-source works and (ii) your
version control branch (git branch) on some git server.  Mention both
of these in some README that gets installed with the kernel.

Regards,
Ian.