Re: Updating the Maintainer field in preparation for Alioth's shutdown?

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 03:25:14PM -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> According to the schedule [1], incoming mail will be disabled for
> mailing lists hosted at Alioth in less than 2 weeks. I am still
> confused about what we are recommending that maintainers and teams do,
> so I'm asking questions now. :)
>
> 1. Are the lists still expected to stop accepting new mail on that date?
> 2. I assume that efforts to provide a transitional "continuation"
> email system haven't been successful yet, right?
> 3. If a team manages to get a lists.debian.org address, it's
> recommended that they switch the Maintainer fields in their packages
> from the Alioth list address to that address, right?
> 4. There may eventually be a tracker.debian.org team contact service
> that might be a better fit for the Maintainer field than
> lists.debian.org but that isn't expected before the deadline, right?

Hi,

The plan to provide a transitional service is still alive, but it has
been going slower than hoped. The technical solution is on its way but
we are also still sorting out the non-technical issues of how/if we can
migrate data and what consents/safeguards would be needed. This is in
progress.

The February date is indeed now very soon and it's unlikely we would
have this in place in time. However my understanding from the alioth
admins is that this wasn't a hard deadline and was proposed before there
was a suggestion to have a transitional service, so I hope that they
will be able to continue service until we are able to announce a
transition plan, at the latest by the end of April (when alioth
itself will be shut down).

Best,
Dominic.