Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?

Sean Whitton writes ("Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?"):
> Our current culture under which many of us feel obligated to ensure our
> package uses the latest Standards-Version is problematic.

I quite agree.

> IMO the point of the field is to ensure that you /don't/ have to upgrade
> to the latest version of Policy right away.  It allows you to keep track
> of the version of Policy you are up-to-date with, so you can do it
> later/someone more interested in the changes can do it.
>
> I think that Lintian shouldn't warn about not using the latest
> Standards-Version; perhaps it should warn when you're using a really old
> one.

I was surprised recently to see a lintian warning about a
Standards-Version I had updated only a few months previously.

But I'm a hardy soul who is quite prepared to see a warning and decide
to ignore it :-).

My view is that the purpose of a warning is to alert you to something,
so you can decide what to do about it.  That decision might well be
"nothing right now" (or even "nothing, ever").

Ian.