Re: build profiles and functional differences

On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 at 22:47:07 +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> As by policy §12.3, removing (or changing) content from
> /usr/share/doc should always be fine:
>
>  | Packages must not require the existence of any files in /usr/share/doc/ in
>  | order to function.
>
> So by that logic gtk-doc documentation should be put into /usr/share/package
> because it is "read by programs" to rewrite cross-references from web links as
> you say.

Arguably yes. A significant number of packages that ship gtk-doc (about
half of what's on my laptop) put it in /usr/share/gtk-doc/html (which
is necessary anyway because it's where gtk-doc and devhelp will look),
with a symlink in /usr/share/doc/$package; IMO that's correct. The
other half are the other way round, with the real documentation in
/usr/share/doc/$package and a symlink in /usr/share/gtk-doc/html.

(It doesn't particularly matter in practice, because gtk-doc HTML tends
to be large enough that maintainers want to break it out into libfoo-doc,
which means the sort of people who want to delete /usr/share/doc will
just not install it.)

    smcv