Re: e2fsprogs as Essential: yes?: Maybe we should be separating l10n files first?

My only real concern is whether this might complicate building the
latest version of e2fsprogs for stable and old-stable for
debian-backports.

I think that it's fine, they've been supported for a long time and
stable and old-stable should be covered, not sure about old-old-stable
without backports.

Would you accept patches to achieve this in e2fsprogs?  It would
probably be quite clean, not complicating/obfuscating the packaging
files too much, usually only 2~10 lines (but I didn't look specifically
into this package yet).

With some help from Simon McVittie, you should be able to use the
build profile pkg.e2fsprogs.no-fuse2fs in the just-uploaded 1.43.8-2
version of e2fsprogs.  It seems to work for me; please let me know if
does what you need.

Not immediately but I will do soon, and possibly send fixes or more
profiles if they're convenient for bootstrapping :)

Thanks, and thanks to Simon too for beating me to it!

--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo@gmail.com>