Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?

Quoting Thomas Goirand (2017-12-23 01:45:43)
> On 12/20/2017 10:31 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Quoting Holger Levsen (2017-12-19 22:01:52)
>>>
>>> the anonymous author.
>>
>> Ok. Then (assuming the source mentions only that anonymous _author_
>> not who claims to hold _copyright_) you document in debian/copyright
>> that a) you assume copyright holder to be the stated author, and b)
>> that the copyright holder is anonymous.
>>
>> ...and see where that leads...
>>

>>  - Jonas
>
> Back to square one, this was to demonstrate that we do *NOT* need the
> copyright holder name.

No, we are not back to square one:

Square one was that we should not need to list copyright holders in
debian/copyright file at all.

Above I describe how we can list copyright holders in debian/copyright
file when copyright holder is anonymous, when their name is omitted
upstream - e.g. like "the anonymous author of files FOO and BAR who is
assumed to be the copyright holder".

> The only thing we really need is to make sure about the license of the
> software. Having a copyright holder name is only *helping* to make
> sure that we are indeed, in the case of the claimed license (ie: we
> can hold $name as responsible for a false claim of such a license).
> But, considering this, the copyright holder name isn't mandatory to
> distribute said software (unless the license mandates listing the
> authors or copyright holders).
>
> If the above isn't logic, please explain why.

You seem to argue that names of copyright holders are optional because
they are optional.

What we need is not only license.  From Debian Policy § 12.5:

> Every package must be accompanied by a verbatim copy of its copyright
> information and distribution license in the file
> /usr/share/doc/package/copyright.

We also need copyright information.

Reason we need copyright information, is because only a license granted
by the copyright holders is of use to us.

 - Jonas