Re: Should tasks be considered harmful?

On Sun, 2017-12-03 at 23:43 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> tl;dr: Desktop tasks have unexpected (from the user point of view)
> side
> effects due to dependencies. This can be considered harmful since the
> installer task selection can easily can trick a user into installing
> "substandard" system.

I think the issue is we have a loose definition of "desktop", and
expect task-gnome-desktop, task-lxde-desktop etc. to correspond to it.

One solution might be firming up what our definition of "desktop" is,
or at least, what minimum functionality should be provided by a task-
desktop-* installation.

If modemmanager/working 3G/3G configuration via GUI/[however this
requirement is encoded] is considered part of that functionality, then
the way forward would be one of

a) adjust dependency chain so task-lxde-desktop preferred network-
manager over wicd
b) enhance wicd to manage 3G stuff
c) add separate dependency on modemmanager (or whatever) | network-
manager
N) drop task-lxde-desktop (if none of the above could be achieved)

However broadly I think this is tractable so I disagree with the
premise that we need to dump desktop tasks.