Re: Has Copyright summarizing outlived its usefulness?

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:46:00PM -0600, Steve Robbins wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:00:10 AM CST Chris Lamb wrote:
> > Sorry for the rejection but "Copyright: See individual source files"
> > unfortunatley does not meet the high standards we strive for within Debian.
>
> That is odd.  It has been accepted for over 16 years.   What has changed?
>
> It is useful to me that the debian/copyright file contain the distribution
> license.  For a one-author package, it could even be convenient to describe
> the author and copyright.
>
> But for a massive multi-author, multi-year work like Boost, there seems very
> little value in summarizing copyrights.  Boost has nearly 55000 files in the
> source distribution.  What could one possibly achieve by summarizing this?
> How would anyone even read and make sense of it?

Lemme paste a recent case where I've done the relevant analysis:

Subject: Re: btrfs-compsize_0~65-gd026966-1_armhf.changes REJECTED

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 07:00:10PM +0000, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> "some fine kernel folks" is a bit unspecific in  your debian/copyright.

I wonder how to put it then.  The line in the file, "Copyright (C) 2007
Oracle.  All rights reserved." (from btrfs-progs) is obviously false: all
Oracle did was that at the time it employed some of people who copied and
adapted this code from the kernel.

The provenience of radix-tree.{c,h} is obvious: it's lib/radix-tree.c and
include/linux/radix-tree.h from the kernel tree, although it has diverged
since: it lacks most of changes since 2007 but has a few fixes on its own.

At that time the file listed the following:
* Copyright (C) 2001 Momchil Velikov
* Portions Copyright (C) 2001 Christoph Hellwig
* Copyright (C) 2005 SGI, Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com>
which is probably accurate wrt the first two being the principal authors,
but otherwise has no meaningful data on fixes.

Since radix-tree.* was imported into btrfs-progs, it has only a few changes:
mechanical ones by Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@computergmbh.de>, Zach Brown
<zab@redhat.com> and a three-line meaningful fix by Adam Buchbinder
<abuchbinder@google.com>.  Thus, it's safe to say the copyright claim by
Oracle is bogus.

Not so easy with kerncompat.h: it's a collection of random typedefs and
short functions from the kernel that has seen new stuff imported whenever
it was needed.  Btrfs-progs sees a lot of code copying to and from the
kernel, thus use of common types has an obvious reason.  The copyright on
these snippets belongs to a multitude of kernel folks.  As for copying to
btrfs-progs, git says this file was edited by:
      1 Andi Drebes <lists-receive@programmierforen.de>
      1 Ben Peddell <klightspeed@killerwolves.net>
      1 Brendan Heading <brendanheading@gmail.com>
      2 Chris Mason <chris.mason@fusionio.com>
     15 Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com>
      1 Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@opensuse.org>
     13 David Sterba <dsterba@suse.com>
      1 David Sterba <dsterba@suse.cz>
      1 Eric Sandeen <sandeen@redhat.com>
      2 Goldwyn Rodrigues <rgoldwyn@suse.com>
      1 Gustavo Zacarias <gustavo@zacarias.com.ar>
      3 Josef Bacik <jbacik@fb.com>
      1 Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>
      1 Mark Fasheh <mfasheh@suse.de>
      2 Merlijn Wajer <merlijn@wizzup.org>
      1 Michal Marek <mmarek@suse.cz>
      1 Mitch Harder <mitch.harder@sabayonlinux.org>
      1 Omar Sandoval <osandov@fb.com>
      1 Ondrej Kozina <okozina@redhat.com>
      5 Qu Wenruo <quwenruo@cn.fujitsu.com>
      1 Shen Feng <shen@cn.fujitsu.com>
      1 Wade Cline <clinew@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
      1 Wang Shilong <wangshilong1991@gmail.com>
      2 Yan <yanzheng@21cn.com>
      3 Zach Brown <zab@redhat.com>
Most of those use company e-mail addresses, and the only person at Oracle
was Chris Mason early on (but, as usual for an initial author, the biggest
part of the compilation work was done on Oracle's dime).

As for compsize -- I'm its principal author, but Timofey Titovets has
replaced my quick-and-dirty C++ STL code with proper structures from
btrfs-progs, as the plan at the time was to eventually move compsize there,
and obviously a C project doesn't want to be polluted by C++.  Thus, he
imported kernel pieces into these three files.

Thus: in the good Free Software code borrowing ways, there's no reasonable
doubt wrt these files being pure kosher GPL, but any attempts to list
individual authors are utterly doomed.

I wonder how to describe these two files then.

> Has copyright summarizing outlived its usefulness for large sources?  Why
> shouldn't we have some way to say "Copyright by the Boost authors"?

As this case is common to the point of ubiquity, I'd say that listing
authors on cooperative work is not just a pointless waste of time, but is
outright harmful, as it mispreresents authorship data.

Typically, people listed in a header are: 1. whoever started the file, 2.
those ordered to do so by an especially litigious employer.  The bulk of
authors are not listed there at all -- you'd usually need to look at a file
such as AUTHORS (if present), or git history.

There are even worse ideas: every single case I've reviewed a copyright file
mechanically generated with cme, it produced garbage even an inattentive
human wouldn't make.  Just two examples:

https://bugs.debian.org/824896
(Bogusly claims GPL3 in a GPL2-only project, etc.)

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-fonts/ttfautohint.git/commit/?id=8a0a29b8ef50fb4e7316826a916167fd66acdd5f
(Claims a lot of files are "FTL or GPL-2+" even though they're obviously
not, repeats a long comment a lotta times even when inappropriate.)

Thus, I'd suggest not only not requiring per-file listings for
cooperative projects, but even actively banning them.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ 14:13 < icenowy[m]> are they hot enough? ;-)
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ 14:17 < icenowy[m]> I think now in Europe it should be winter? Let