Re: recommends for apparmor in newest linux-image-4.13

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 05:56:45PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Theodore Ts'o writes ("Re: recommends for apparmor in newest linux-image-4.13"):
> > [something about] security-weenies
>
> IMO this language is completely inappropriate in any formal Debian
> context.

The second definition from http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/weenie

    2) In the context of program development and among the "hackerdom"
    that Raymond chronicles, the term weenie can be ascribed
    respectfully to someone who is highly knowledgeable, intensely
    committed to, or even just employed on a particular endeavor or in
    a particular operating system culture. For example, a "UNIX
    weenie" may mean someone who is an expert at using or modifying
    UNIX . But, depending on the context, it could also mean a "UNIX
    bigot."

> (I have to disclose an interest: I have a PhD in computer security, so
> maybe I am one of these "weenies"?)

Given that I served on the Security Area Directorate of the IETF for
close to ten years, the term could also be used to describe me.  But
as I said, if it's too hard for *me* to figure out how to make SELinux
work on my development laptop, perhaps folks would insist that I turn
in my security weenie union card...

I don't consider it offensive, just I don't consider the term "hacker"
to be offensive.

					- Ted