Re: Alioth: the future of mailing lists

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 5:38 AM, Alexander Wirt <formorer@debian.org> wrote:
>   - Distribution lists for use in the Maintainer: field.  We suggest
>     that, with maybe some extra code, this use-case could be well served
>     by the tracker.debian.org service for almost all purposes.  For
>     larger teams, such as the Debian Perl Group, a list on lists.debian.org
>     might be another option.

I think tracker.debian.org's email subscription feature is great. For
instance, it was really easy to create a team based on the email
address used for the pkg-gnome maintainers team.

https://tracker.debian.org/teams/debian-gnome-team/

It automatically adds new packages that have that email address in
Maintainers or Uploaders. Anyone can join the team and pick which
kinds of emails they want to get for the whole set of packages at
once.

So I'd like to be able to use the Debian tracker as the maintainer
email address for some packages I maintain. The downside is that my
understanding is taht tracker.debian.org doesn't provide a normal
email service. Personally, that's a positive for me since I get less
spam than if I subscribed to the mailing list. But it would be
unexpected that you can't just email the Maintainer directly using
what looks like an email address in the package metadata.

On the other hand, it sounds like many Maintainer email addresses (as
seen in Debian 9 "stable") will stop working next year any way. Which
is technically an RC-bug but I assume we won't be doing thousands of
stretch updates just to fix that.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha