Call for testing: APT 1.5~alpha1/experimental

APT 1.5~alpha1 landed in experimental today(ish). It includes three
big changes (one of which, the new https support, is opt-in).

  [ Changes to unauthenticated repositories ]
  The security exception for apt-get to only raise warnings if it encounters
  unauthenticated repositories in the "update" command is gone now, so that it
  will raise errors just like apt and all other apt-based front-ends do since
  at least apt version 1.3.

  It is possible (but STRONGLY ADVISED AGAINST) to revert to the previous
  behaviour of apt-get by setting the option
    Binary::apt-get::Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories "true";
  See apt-secure(8) manpage for configuration details.

  [ Experimental https support in http ]
  The http method will eventually replace the curl-based https method, but for
  now, this is an opt-in experiment that can be enabled by setting
  Dir::Bin::Methods::https to "http". Known issues:
    - We do not support HTTPS proxies yet
    - We do not support proxying HTTPS connections yet (CONNECT)
    - IssuerCert and SslForceVersion are unsupported
  TLS code paths can be disabled by setting Acquire::AllowTLS to "false".

  [ Release Info Changes ]
  If values like Origin, Label, and Codename change in a Release file,
  update fails, or asks a user (if interactive). Various
  --allow-releaseinfo-change are provided for non-interactive use.

Please consider testing it. I'm especially interested in people
using client certificates or anything fancy with HTTPS that is not
listed in the known issues list.

It would be great if people knowledgeable
about https and TLS in general also had a look at how GnuTLS is used:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/apt/apt.git/commit/?id=2851ec6cf037d552118b885be0dd7796d74730c6

(I accidentally squashed a move of the SOCKS code in there, but
 it should still be readable)

Thanks!
--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev
                  |  Ubuntu Core Developer |