Re: Declarative packaging (Was: Re: Intended MBF: maintainer scripts not using strict mode)

Am 27.06.2017 um 09:34 schrieb Niels Thykier:
> After this, we need something other than triggers.  Triggers are great
> for regenerating global caches but they are not good at delegating
> targeted functionality out like:
>
>  * This package needs user X to be created dynamically with home set
>    to H with login shell S.

systemd provides a facility called systemd-sysusers which allows to
describe system user accounts declaratively. Maybe we could leverage that.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-sysusers.html

>  * This package wants to enable and start service Y, but obviously first
>    after creating user X (which the service runs as)

Related to that, there is systemd-preset
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.preset.html

If that would work for Debian is unclear to me.

The common expectation in Debian is, that we expect packages to be
"usable" after installation. Which means we often intermix installation
with configuration, which is typically done via maintainer scripts.

This makes it very hard to disentangle those steps.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?