Re: Too many Recommends (in particular on mail-transport-agent)

On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 03:21:25PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 03:02 -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> [...]
> > firmware-linux Recommends: amd64-microcode
> > firmware-linux-nonfree Recommends: amd64-microcode
> >
> >     This machine has an Intel CPU. It should probably recommend
> >     intel-microcode | amd64-microcode instead of both. Though we are
> >     talking about an Installed-Size of 68 here.
> [...]
>
> Then APT would never automatically install amd64-microcode.

True. Apt doesn't really have a good solution to that. The only thing
I've seen is

    Recommends: cpu-microcode-all | cpu-microcode

and having a cpu-microcode-all package that Depends on both, and having
the two real package Provides cpu-microcode. If I remember correctly,
Xorg did this at one point for video drivers (maybe still does).

Of course—for the under 100K being saved here, only Rube Goldberg would
approve.