Re: Too many Recommends (in particular on mail-transport-agent)

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 03:43:45PM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:

>>> No, when taken alone, -dev packages Recommending -doc is just right.

>> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/dbnpolicy/policy.git/commit/?id=dc3b001

> This change talks about only "extra" documentation that's redundant with
> what's already shipped in -dev -- ie, cases where you have man pages and
> plain text in -dev then HTML and PDF in -doc.

> The case of _primary_ documentation being in -doc is still supposed to
> be Recommends, which I agree with (save for the transitional dependency
> issue).

The change was trying to canonicalize two best practices in Policy: extra
documentation being at most Suggests, as you say, but also that even
primary documentation should not be a *Depends*, but at most a Recommends.
I think that's uncontroversial, and it sounds like people are still
comfortable with primary documentation being a Recommends (well, with the
exception of texlive, which came up in this thread -- that's a hard case
since it's documentation that would fit the definition of Recommends
normally, but it's quite large, and texlive gets pulled in a lot by build
dependencies).