Re: "Ask HN: What do you want to see in Ubuntu 17.10?"

On Thu, 2017-06-08 at 19:52 +0100, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> I would certainly reiterate this:
>
> Some versions of Ubuntu (at least trusty, xenial) have the added
> "feature" to keep older kernel versions when installing new ones.  It
> kind of makes sense to keep at least the previous one (in case of a
> regression), but keeping every new patch-version is too much.
>
> Debian doesn't do this (except when the ABI version or upstream version
> is new, I think).

I believe Debian has the same APT hook as Ubuntu now, but different
results due to not bumping ABI so often.

> apt-get autoremove is supposed to remove the unneeded ones, but
> apparently does not.  (And users can't be expected to remember this
> either).
[...]

Why doesn't it?  We used to have the problem that many things
recommended linux-image which was provided by all linux-image-*
packages; so all of them would be considered non-removable.  But that
hasn't been the case since jessie.  Does Ubuntu still have this
problem?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to write an incorrect program than to understand a correct