Re: Too many Recommends (in particular on mail-transport-agent)

On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 12:29:05PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 9:55 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:
>
> > bash-completion: bash dput-ng licensecheck
> > * DEBATABLE: I like the Tab key to do something reasonable,
> >   "bash-completion" means you never know what you'll get.
>
> I definitely would not want to run a Debian system that didn't have
> bash-completion installed. Being able to tab complete command-line
> arguments and apt package names are two examples of invaluable
> features this package provides.

Yeah, but I agree with the general feeling that it's extremely annoying
when bash-completion *removes* file names as completion options.
Sometimes the completion has a whitelist of possible filenames; when
that whitelist is incomplete or does not match my system, bash
completion does not help (on the contrary). Yes, it's possible to force
filename completion with alt-shift-/ (at least on my BE AZERTY
keyboard), but that requires a different keystroke than just "tab".

I think if bash had an option to allow programmable completion to add
additional completion options but not remove others, that would be much
much much more interesting.

[...]
--
Help me, off-by-one kenobi. You're my only nought.