Re: Switch default installation image link?

> [ Note Reply-To: set to d-devel ]

(answering only to said list)

> Hey,

Hiya,

> For a number of years, we've been linking to the amd64/i386 netinst
> installer image from the front page. I think it's time to just switch
> that to just an amd64 image for stretch now. The vast majority of the
> machines out there are now amd64, and we're asking people to download
> useless stuff in such cases. i386 users can still find an image for
> download.

Sounds quite sensible. You magically win quite a bit of capacity as
you don't have to include packages for two architectures.

> I'm *also* tempted to switch from the netinst to the first DVD image
> instead - network connections have improved a lot.

I'll chime in to what others have said. I think DVD images should not
be the default/main download venue. Even though the careful package
ordering by (alleged?) popularity, I am sure a great deal of Debian
installs use under half of the packages provided by the first DVD (and
many that are not there, of course). A completely offline user will
have to juggle no matter if they got the DVD, and a connected user (no
matter their available bandwidth) will spend more time waiting for the
network if they choose to install from DVD.

Greetings,