Re: What does "freeze" mean?

On Mon, 2017-06-05 at 13:50 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Paul Wise writes ("Re: What does "freeze" mean?"):
> > Please note that the uswsusp shouldn't be needed any more as systemd
> > handles hibernation IIRC. It is possible that removing uswsusp will
> > fix the issue for you.
>
> uswsusp may not be needed *on machines running systemd*.

I don't think the init system has anything to do this.  I don't recall
ever needing to use uswsusp while using sysvinit.

> > In addition, uswsusp doesn't look well maintained as it hasn't seen an
> > upload from the maintainers since 2014-11-01 and the primary
> > maintainer looks missing in action (MIA). Could you please report the
> > primary maintainer Rodolfo García Peñas (kix) to the MIA team?
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch07.en.html#mia-qa
>
> FTR, I'm using uswsusp on my laptop with sysvinit and it seems to work
> just fine.

So we know uswsusp isn't totally broken.  I suspect this is a hardware-
specific kernel bug (or firmware bug that the kernel needs to work
around).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to write an incorrect program than to understand a correct