Re: policy for shipping sysctl.d snippets in packages?

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 04:21:17AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> Did Linux development move as quickly as it does now?
>> Did users experience more problems or failures when running those dist-upgrades?
>
> RedHat also did not support upgrades back when they did not wait four
> years to do finish a new release. They do not support them, because
> they *choose* not to support them, instead telling people to reinstall.
>
> Yes, that makes it easier for them to wait four years between releases.
> But I think you have cause and effect swapped around.

I've never even tried to dist-upgrade RHEL but I have dist-upgraded
RHL and Fedora. It was/is perfectly do-able but they both had/have
shorter release cycles.

IF Red Hat had felt that there was a market for dist-upgrade support,
it could have offered it for a extra fee, just like it offers an
extended support subscription for companies that want to stick to want
to stick to a release beyond the standard EOL or to a minor release.
It does offer an *unsupported* upgrade via anaconda.