Re: salsa.debian.org (git.debian.org replacement) going into beta

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 12:51:45PM +0100, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2017, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > > if you think so, you have now idea.
> > > Please propose a solution for reusing the name without breaking renamed and
> > > not yet migrated repos.
> >
> > Have a "redirect-url" file in the .git directory of the repository? That
> > can then be used by the anonscm web configuration to send a proper 301
> > response to the HTTP client. That way, nobody has to maintain a single
> > map and individual developers can tell the infrastructure where the new
> > repository lives.
> >
> > For bonus points, make this be something that can still be added to
> > after alioth is shut down/made read-only, so that the
> > "anonscm.debian.org" permanent name can also be used for repositories
> > that are newly created on salsa and never lived in alioth to begin with.
> >
> > > Of course you are now one year to late.
> >
> > It is never too late for a fix of what is a seriously problematic issue.
> >
> > I'm willing to look into the details of doing this if you're happy with
> > the proposal.
> I am almost done with the map thing.

OK, cool.

> And to be honest, alioth is slow enough.  I really don't want to add
> anything new.

I'm not suggesting you add "anything new". The anonscm.d.o name is
useful enough to keep, and having it be redirected when needed would be
nice.

I'm thinking this could be provided independently from running alioth.

Anyway, looking forward to your map thing :-)

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab