Re: ISO download difficult (was: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint))

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 05:57:21PM +0000, Dr. Bas Wijnen wrote:
> So we need to decide what we want.  I think there probably is consensus about:
>
> - We want people with non-free hardware to install Debian if they want to.
> - We want people with non-free firmware installed to get updates for it.
>
> I'm not entirely sure, but think there is also consensus that:
>
> - We want to recommend people to use as little non-free software as reasonably
>   possible.
>
> I am planning to propose a GR that will clarify our position about this, and
> that should result in enabling contrib and non-free in the default installer
> image until non-free-firmware is somehow selectable for installation without
> also enabling other non-free software.

I got the impression that the idea of having two installers for download,
side to side, received least hate of what was proposed.

Having no purely free installer, or having it play second fiddle to the
non-free one, would sacrifice too much of our principles in my opinion.
Yet having such a "tainted" installer to its right/bottom would also
satisfy the need of users with bad hardware.

Would this be acceptable to you without employing all the hassle of a GR?

Meow!
--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple