Re: changing source and binary package names

On Monday, December 18, 2017 02:39:20 PM James Cowgill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 18/12/17 13:06, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When changing only the binary package name, it is easy to do it.  All I
> > have to do is package an empty transitional package with the old binary
> > package name in its new source package with proper dependencies and
> > upload it :-)
> >
> > But what is needed when changing both the source and binary package name
> > together?
> >
> > Specifically for getmail upstream is moving to version 5.4 now and
> >
> > Debian unstable has now:
> >  * source: getmail4 (upstream 4.53 based)
> >
> >    * Binary: getmail4
> >
> >  * source: getmail  (upstream 5.4 based)
> >
> >    * Binary: getmail
> >
> > Here, getmail packaeg is compatible replacement of getmail4 package.
> >
> > I am thinking to add getmal4 dummy transitional package to getmail
> > source package and upload it.
>
> This seems reasonable to me.
>
> > Can I upload such binary dummy package now when there is an older
> > package in unstable?
>
> Yes, your upload will replace the existing getmal4 binary package in the
> archive.
>
> > Should I ask getmail4 source package removal to ftp master before
> > uploading the dummy transitional package?  Or should I do it after?
>
> Probably after so your getmail upload doesn't have to go through NEW.

It'll go through New anyway (if I remember correctly) because it's taking over
a binary from another source package, but still don't ask for removal.  Once
getmail4 doesn't produce the current version of any binaries anymore it'll
show up on the decruft list and be semi-automatically removed.

Scott K