Re: ISO download difficult (was: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint))

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 12:34 AM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> Yes, I've never managed to get d-i to find firmware I've put on a USB
> myself, and always resorted to this approach. I never got around to
> reading the source to figure out where it expects to look (nor to
> improve the docs etc.)

The docs say to dump firmware files or packages on a USB stick:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s04.html.en

To prepare a USB stick (or other medium like a hard drive partition,
or floppy disk), the firmware files or packages must be placed in
either the root directory or a directory named /firmware of the file
system on the medium. The recommended file system to use is FAT as
that is most certain to be supported during the early stages of the
installation.

The wiki documentation for this doesn't mention the root directory, so
perhaps this has been improved in recent releases:

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware#Firmware_during_the_installation

--
bye,
pabs