Re: ISO download difficult (was: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint))

On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 05:05:58PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
Personally, as a developer, I will say there is one benefit of being
so user-unfriendly that the usable ISO is hidden under the
beware-of-leopard sign, which is that it serves as a "you have to be
this technically aware to install debian" barrier.  As a result, we
don't have the low signal-to-noise bug reports that are all-too-common
on Ubuntu's launchpad.net.

I don't see this as a benefit; I see this as an exclusionary,
private-club elitist attitude.

So if we want to reform our "FSF-ly correct freedom is more important
than being friendly to novices" (and it's not clear Debian as a whole
agrees with this sentiment), folks might want to consider that this
probably means we will need to have more people doing bug triage.

We would have *many more people* around to do it, too.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland