Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

On 2017-12-01 at 16:44, Sven Hartge wrote:

> Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 14:59:53 -0500, James McCoy wrote:
>
>>> People seem to be skipping over the fact that even after ntfs-3g
>>> was installed, the user only had RO access.  That's the bigger
>>> issue.
>
>> Exactly, which IIRC is the normal behavior if the NTFS filesystem
>> was not properly "closed", e.g. if Windows was hibernated (or it
>> uses the Fast Boot/Startup feature, thus suspend2both).
>
> Which is normal since at least Windows 7, maybe even Vista, to not
> shutdown completely, but only shutdown the applications and then
> hibernate the remaining Windows Kernel and memory to disk, leaving
> the filesystem unclean.

Are you sure?

I've been managing Windows 7 at my workplace for years now, and I've
never seen this "suspend in response to Shut Down" behavior there; the
first place I ever saw it was on a Windows 8 machine.

I'm not sure I've yet seen it in our current Windows 10 pilot, either,
but I also haven't looked especially closely there.

--
   The Wanderer