Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 03:34:04PM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On December 1, 2017 7:15:04 AM EST, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez <arturo@debian.org> wrote:
> >Other thing is the branding topic. I would like to promote usage of
> >Debian testing for standard desktop/laptop users in personal
> >environments (not for business machines)
> >but the 'testing' word scares people. I don't have a valid candidate
> >:-(
> >
> >But we should really point to stable to specific users rather than all
> >by default.
>
> Testing doesn't have security support (and since neither the security team nor maintainers can upload to it, it's the most problematic choice from a security support perspective).  I don't think that's suitable to recommend to end users of any sort.
ALso AFAIK when packages are temporarily removed from testing for various
reasons that may break the user systems (or, at least, make their
experience worse when they want to install something). At least I've seen
a position of "testing is not for users but to help us make stable",
correct me if I'm wrong.

--
WBR, wRAR