Has Copyright summarizing outlived its usefulness?

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:00:10 AM CST Chris Lamb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the rejection but "Copyright: See individual source files"
> unfortunatley does not meet the high standards we strive for within Debian.

That is odd.  It has been accepted for over 16 years.   What has changed?

It is useful to me that the debian/copyright file contain the distribution
license.  For a one-author package, it could even be convenient to describe
the author and copyright.

But for a massive multi-author, multi-year work like Boost, there seems very
little value in summarizing copyrights.  Boost has nearly 55000 files in the
source distribution.  What could one possibly achieve by summarizing this?
How would anyone even read and make sense of it?

Has copyright summarizing outlived its usefulness for large sources?  Why
shouldn't we have some way to say "Copyright by the Boost authors"?

-Steve