Re: allowed uses of non-baseline CPU extensions

Quoting Josh Triplett (2017-10-24 04:29:32)
> Philipp Kern wrote:
> > I think that's a very important observation. I don't think you can
> > necessarily conclude that the system where the package is initially
> > installed is the system were the code is executed.
> >
> > In many kinds of image-based environments the machines the image is
> > shipped to have very likely a different instruction capability than the
> > machine where the image is built on.
> >
> > You argued in #873733[1] that you'd rather see the package installation
> > fail. I see the appeal of that, especially to alert the admin. But there
> > needs to be some kind of switch to flip to ignore these. Right now it
> > seems that switch is IGNORE_ISA in the environment. But given the
> > attempts to get a cleaner environment for dpkg, I'm not sure that's the
> > best file. I.e. it'd be better to also have a flag file.
>
> As with others in this thread, I'd prefer to have apt understand the
> concept of architecture variations and instruction set features, as a
> variation on multiarch. (apt could potentially have a command-line
> option to override that and install a package onto a system that didn't
> understand the instruction set features, but that would potentially
> require delaying the execution of any code from the package, which could
> include maintainer scripts, until runtime, much like debootstrap's cross
> mode.)

I fail to see where else in this thread multiarch was mentioned but let me
mention some multiarch related issues related to this topic.

One way to handle packages requiring extensions that are not part of an
architecture's baseline would be to introduce a partial architecture, for
example armhf-neon which would be armhf but with NEON support. A partial
architecture would not contain the Essential:yes packages or build-essential.
It would be an architecture that one cannot build natively with but that one
cross-builds to. Thus, the archive of this partial architecture would only
contain the few packages that want to make use of certain CPU extensions.

Of course right now we are lacking the infrastructure for packages to declare
that they should be cross-compiled for such a partial architecture and due to
missing or wrong multiarch annotations, cross compilation support in Debian is
also still far from ideal.

Also related is the topic "Partial archives for different ISAs" as talked about
in the 2014 bootstrap sprint. Search for the heading here:

https://lists.debian.org/20140829095214.GV19999@stoneboat.aleph1.co.uk

An orthogonal problem is the issue of how dpkg and apt shall know which
architectures are can be executed on the current system. This problem does not
only affect this discussion about packages using instructions that are not part
of the baseline but is also an undocumented issue with multiarch. Right now,
the problem only doesn't surface much because apt by default prefers packages
of the native architecture over packages from architectures declared as
foreign. But for issues like this one as well as for cross compiling it would
be useful if there was a way to declare or detect which architecture can be
executed on a system. For example an amd64 system might be able to execute code
for:

 - i386
 - amd64
 - x32
 - armhf (through binfmt-support and qemu-user mode)

Though nothing in the multiarch spec prevents a mipsel package marked as
Multi-Arch:foreign to satisfy dependencies on that system even if mipsel code
cannot be executed...

cheers, josch