Re: Mandates explicit -std=c++XY for c++ projects

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 02:16:36PM +0100, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
On 10 October 2017 at 14:07, Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev@gmail.com> wrote:
I think nobody would object if you set the flag to -std=c++98 for a
certain package, especially if upstream is dead or unwilling to move to
a newer standard, but I wouldn't want to see it as the default.

We, as a distribution, are better than that. Please provide URLs to
FTBFS with c++11 bug report that is of concern for you, and I will try
to look into it to fix the FTBFS with a distro patch.

I would hope that debian wouldn't fork a package specifically to change the c++ standards version over upstream objections. That sounds like a long term maintainence nightmare in itself.

If upstream is dead that's a different story, but should really involve serious thought about whether becoming upstream is better than removing the package.
Mike Stone