Re: Mandates explicit -std=c++XY for c++ projects

Mathias,

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> wrote:
> On 10.10.2017 11:42, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

>>> I don't think this is a good idea, and I'm still trying to understand what
>>> problem you are trying to solve.  It took a while until GCC had stable c++11
>>> support, and now you want to fallback to a 20 year old standard by default?
>>
>> As said above, this is simply a fallback, I am fine with any value as
>> long as I can see it in the log clearly.
>>
>> My point was about making the flag *explicit*, whatever value is
>> chosen, so that upon recompilation we gets the same symbols, the same
>> behavior, no FTBFS (because of deprecated feature).
>
> Various libraries do error out on deprecated functions/macros, which you can
> override by preprocessor macros.  This is usually done in the package.  Why
> should that be different for the compiler?
>
>>> It would be better to spend some time to prepare for -std=gnu++17 instead ;)
>>
>> So you have no major objection against my proposal,
>
> No, I have objections, because after a while this will become a debt to maintain ...

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

As with Gert's answer, I fail to understand your point: You would
prefer to see packages being (re)compiled *without* an explicit -std=
flag, so that it always gets recompiled using whatever is the current
c++ standard used by gcc, correct ?

>> I feared you may
>> have an issue with mixed combination of stdc++ runtime lib (not sure
>> exactly how this is handled at low level).
>
> There's only one runtime library in use. Yes, there are more or less subtle
> issues which we address by library package renames for issues we cannot or do
> not want to handle by renaming libstdc++ itself.  But it's always the same
> runtime library used, independent of the standard.

Ah nice.

I may be slamming open door, but could you confirm that you see no
objection in maintaining a complex stdc++ package where the c++98 ABI
(eg. std::string) will not be used by any packages in the near future.