apt cron autoclean not enabled by default

You're all going to laugh at me now, but: some years ago I gradually
stopped using dselect.  Multiarch was the last nail in the coffin.

Now I discover while debugging something that each one of my machines
has been accumulating a museum of obsolete .debs in /var/cache/apt.

Is this supposed to be cleaned up by default by something ?

None of my installations seem to have the necessary machinery enabled.
This is bizarre because all the relevant moving parts (principally
/etc/cron.daily/apt) seem fully functional when I turn them on.

I realise we've been arguing for years about turning on _updates_ by
default, but I hadn't realised that we doubted whether people would
want to delete decades-old .deb files...

Ian.