Re: Removal of upstart integration

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 09:13:46PM +0200, Christian Seiler wrote:
> On 09/26/2017 09:03 PM, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> > Arguably `dpkg` could also run maintainer scripts in a more controlled
> > environment so less random variables affect the maintainer scripts.
>
> Full ACK. IMHO it should be specified which environment
> variables are passed to the maintainer scripts from the
> outside, and any variable not on the list should be
> unset (or given their default values).

I think something like this would be a good idea, but since it has been
otherwise for so long, there will be many devils in the details.

>  - TERM, possibly DISPLAY (for debconf and similar prompts)
>
>    Though if I understand debconf correctly the maintainer
>    scripts don't actually need the DISPLAY variable, as they
>    use a socket to communicate with debconf, or am I wrong
>    there?

The frontend is often started via the confmodule sourced by a maintainer
script (and then the maintscript re-execed under the frontend), so for
better or worse you do need DISPLAY and the like in the current design.