Re: Compressed apt index files by default?

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 04:48:29PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like us to try out using LZ4 compressed index files in
> /var/lib/apt/lists for the next APT release series, starting
> in October, after the release of Ubuntu 17.10 "artful".
>
> This is done by swapping the default for Acquire::gzipIndexes
> from false to true.
>
> On my system, this compresses /var/lib/apt/lists
> from 1.3 GB down to 241 MB, which is a lot of space.

There's been a mistake in testing methodology, I compared
with Contents files uncompressed as well. Real values are more
like
	188 vs  75 MB for just Packages
	446 vs 278 MB for all files (Sources too)

so, like a 60% saving for systems without apt-file, and a
40% saving for systems with apt-file installed.

--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev
                  |  Ubuntu Core Developer |