Re: Removal of upstart integration

On 09/26/2017 09:03 PM, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Arguably `dpkg` could also run maintainer scripts in a more controlled
> environment so less random variables affect the maintainer scripts.

Full ACK. IMHO it should be specified which environment
variables are passed to the maintainer scripts from the
outside, and any variable not on the list should be
unset (or given their default values).

Off the top of my head, I believe the only variables that
would qualify to be passed through would be:

 - the locale variables (the user might want to see localized
   messages) such as LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_*

 - TERM, possibly DISPLAY (for debconf and similar prompts)

   Though if I understand debconf correctly the maintainer
   scripts don't actually need the DISPLAY variable, as they
   use a socket to communicate with debconf, or am I wrong
   there?

 - LD_PRELOAD (to support eatmydata), though that could be
   argued

Maybe there are cases for others, but I don't think the list
should be much longer than that.

Regards,
Christian