Re: Alioth: the future of mailing lists

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 02:55:26PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello Axel,
>
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017, Axel Beckert wrote:
> > Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > >   - Distribution lists for use in the Maintainer: field.  We suggest
> > >     that, with maybe some extra code, this use-case could be well served
> > >     by the tracker.debian.org service for almost all purposes.
> >
> > Reading https://tracker.debian.org/docs/about.html#email-interface it
> > seems that the e-mail address <package>@tracker.debian.org is usable
> > not only for tracker-generated mails.
>
> Hum, that documentation is a bit outdated. What you have to use is
> actually dispatch+<package>@tracker.debian.org. But I would not want
> people to use this email address in Maintainer fields.
>
> Instead we should use <package>@packages.debian.org. But for this we
> need a lintian upload and a lintian backport to be installed on
> ftp-master:

Er, that would create a mail loop. <package>@packages.debian.org
redirects to the data of the maintainer field. If you put that address
in the maintainer field, it redirects to itself, again and again and
again and again and...

Not a good idea.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab