Re: Help, I broke sso.debian.org for chrome - Found reason

On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 11:37:01AM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:

> I refactored the certificate generation code for sso.debian.org, and the
> certificates it generates now still work in Firefox but not in Chrome.

I found the reason: python-cryptography writes the certificate issuer
as UTF8 String while the CA certificate has it as Printable String.
Because of that, the subject names don't match bit-by-bit.

For openssl, encoding does not matter for comparison, while for libnss3
it does.

I do not know if this is:

 - a bug in openssl, which should be stricter in matching
 - a bug in libnss3, which should deal with encodings
 - a bug in python3-cryptography, which should do a bit-for-bit copy
   when copying attributes over:
   https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-sso/debian-sso.git/tree/ca/ca.py#n429

Please help me report the bugs, while I try to implement a workaround on
sso.debian.org.

I'm attaching a test case that reproduces the issue. Unpack the tarball
and run ./test to reproduce. This is the output of a run:

  $ ./test
  + trap cleanup EXIT
  + cleanup
  + rm -fr newcerts
  + rm -f index.txt index.txt.attr serial '*.old'
  + certtool -p --outfile=testkey.pem
  + certtool --load-privkey=testkey.pem -s --outfile=testcrt.pem --template=testcrt.conf
  + mkdir -p newcerts
  + touch index.txt
  + touch index.txt.attr
  + openssl genrsa -out client.key 2048
  + openssl req -new -sha256 -key client.key -batch
  + openssl ca -batch -config testca.conf -in client.csr -create_serial -days 7 -keyfile testkey.pem -cert testcrt.pem -out client.crt
  + openssl verify -CAfile testcrt.pem client.crt
  client.crt: OK
  + certtool --load-ca-certificate testcrt.pem --verify --infile client.crt
  Loaded 1 certificates, 1 CAs and 0 CRLs