Re: Raising the severity of reproduciblity issues to "important"

On Fri, 2017-09-01 at 12:43 +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> Whatever point you were trying to make around NEW, your argument is not
> very convincing. I think Holger is right here: Where the package is
> built should not matter. Presence of .buildinfo and reproducibility
> does.

Appollogies if this is covering well worn ground but does this mean we
therefore need to check that everything referenced in .buildinfo was
present in the archive at some point as a step during accepting a
package (new or not new) into the archive?

Where "was present in the archive at some point" is a proxy for "is
present on snapshots.d.o". If that can also be checked directly that
might be cool, although it might be considered a bit rude to a
maintainer to reject a package for what was a snapshot.do.o issue.

https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/BuildinfoFiles suggests that
the build environment contains the versions of packages but not their
hashes -- so there is a possibility that a developer might be building
with a non-canonical version of the package. Perhaps they installed a
local dev version of the build-dep, perhaps because they maintain both
and we doing a quasi-simultaneous upload. That's perhaps not indicative
of best practice, but mistakes do happen.

Ian.