lcdproc was Re: X facts about Debian - some fact checking and looking for ideas.

Dear Dominique,

Thank you for sharing about lcdproc as response to my mail. For my 2
cents, I disliked the idea (of lcdproc) immediately as simply applying
maintainer changes defeats the very purpose the tool declares or
claims to help. For e.g. I know of quite a few people where the modem
login page is at a different rather than the universal 192.168.0.1
address.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network and at times
have to write manual /etc/network/interfaces rules in order for
internet to work. In India, in practise this happens quite a bit
within ethernet based modem/routers, leave alone cable modems.

Couple of URL's to tell what I mean (only for the modem router page mind you) .

http://www.in.techspot.com/features/tips-tricks/a-list-of-common-default-router-ip-addresses/articleshow/47795297.cms

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-find-your-routers-ip-and-admin/

Add to that an ISP's settings that an elderly person might have to set up.

https://bpedia.co.in/bsnl-modem-configuration/ - just one ISP's settings.

And there are 244 ISP's in India alone according to December 2016 latest list

http://www.dot.gov.in/sites/default/files/2016_08_24%20ISP-DS_0.pdf?download=1

In such a scenario a grandma's internet may simply stop working after
an upgrade if she blindly accepts a maintainer's changes. It has
happened with me in the past even though I know a bit about how things
work, let alone a non-technical grandma.

What is actually required is a tool which asks questions in a manner
in which the grandma or anybody not knowing technology can answer.
This I accept is really hard to fix :(

Apart from cryptic info. what is also needed to fix is also cryptic
errors which is not easy for non-technical people to diagnose what is
wrong but that's a different question altogether.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल