Re: User-installable Debian packages?

Hi Steffen,

Steffen Möller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> writes:

> I just had a quick look and it seems really nice, indeed! Thank you tons for
> pointing that out to us. Has anybody already tried that with Debian?

I am one of a few guys behind that project.  Gentoo Prefix with its own
libc runs on Debian very well, the explicity tested distributions are
listed at,

  https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Prefix/libc#Tested_distributions

The highlights are:

  1. you can compile almost any package available in Gentoo.
  2. you can run x86 Gentoo Prefix on a amd64 Debian, thus another form
     of multiarch.

The downside compared to Debian and any binary distribution is that,
everything need to be compiled from source.  That's slow.

A preliminary draft has been prepared to discuss its use on HPC
environments:

  https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.02742

Alternative projects are _spack_ and _easybuild_, with slightly
different motivations and implementations.

Cheers,
Benda