Re: Running tests with xvfb

Hi,

On 07/28/2017 10:46 PM, Jeff wrote:
> I have a package whose tests crash X on my machine, which uses nouveau.
> This makes testing rather inconvenient.
>
> Running the tests in a chroot with xvfb works, but takes an age (i.e. a
> couple of minutes) to set up the chroot. This is also not conducive to
> rapid testing of small changes.
>
> Running the test outside the chroot with xvfb still crashes X, because
> xvfb seems to grab the "real" X if it is there.
>
> Is there a way of getting xvfb to ignore the system X?

Is that actually true? Because xvfb should not interact with any
regular X sesssion that is running.

Could not the more likely thing be that while you start xvfb the
program you're trying to test uses your regular X session instead
of connecting to xvfb?

What is the value of the DISPLAY environment variable the program
is trying to use? Is that the virtual display created by Xvfb, or
is it the actual X session you're running on?

Regards,
Christian