New package split of util-linux

Hello!

I'm looking for help with ideas about a new package split for the
util-linux suite.

Currently the main binary packages are:
util-linux
mount
bsdutils

(Then there are a bunch of other less important binary packages also
built.)

All of the three above packages have the Essential: yes control field
set.  This basically means when ever upstream writes a new tool and we
decide to ship it, it instantly becomes part of the essential set.
Additionally when one of these new or existing tools grows a new
dependency that package (library?) instantly becomes pseudo-essential.

The current package split being problematic has already resulted in
setpriv currently being a separate package to avoid making it essential
and it's new dependency pseudo-essential. I'd like to merge this tool
into another package with a set of tools and make the setpriv a
transitional package.
Disclaimer: I'm not interested in (further) "micro-packaging".

I also don't see any real reason for the mount package to be separate
from the util-linux package.

In short, I'm considering a new package split to be needed.

If people have ideas or suggestions about this package split I'm
interested to hear them.

Things I'd like your to consider when suggesting a new package split:
- how can we easily ship additional new tools from upstream in it?
- how does it deal with new/existing dependencies to avoid making
  everything pseudo-essential?
- how can we take over things currently shipped by other source pkgs?
  eg. eject[1], su/login[2], etc.
- how can we make sure the essential set is as small as possible?
- how can we make sure the dependencies being made pseudo-essential
  is kept as small as possible?
- how do we transition to it from the current package split?

Another possibly related issue I'd like to get feedback on is that I
personally find it useful for these 'low-level utilities' packages
like util-linux is to keep 'mechanism' (the tools) and 'policy'
(how they are used, eg. init scripts, cron jobs, etc.) separate.
The util-linux are currently pretty much mechanism only, with the
notable exception of hwclock policy that *only* applies under sysvinit.
I have thus considered moving this policy over to the sysvinit package
but problems with moving conffiles between packages has made me
spend my time elsewhere.
There are though a number of different requests to introduce more
policy in the util-linux package. Eg. use hwclock policy under systemd
when rtc drivers are modules (rather than built in)[3], ship fstrim
cron jobs[4], etc.
As said I'd like to keep util-linux free from this kind of policy,
so suggestions on where to put them instead or potentially how
a new package split could deal with this is welcome.

In case you've read this far I'll also throw in a general request for
help with the util-linux package. All help is welcome and needed.
If you're looking for specific issues I'll suggest looking at #869191
which currently blocks updating to a new upstream release.
Also please send patches to the relevant util-linux bug report (or
directly to upstream is even better if it's an upstream issue).
General bug triaging also welcome, because I'm sure there are open bug
reports than can likely just be closed after investigating them and
their current status.

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=737658
[2]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=833256
[3]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=855203