Re: P.S. Re: Debian 9 in a VM with Proxmox 5 system

On 13/07/17 12:40, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 05:17:57AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Roger Lynn <Roger@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:
> > > SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="1c:1b:0d:9a:34:98", NAME="eth0"
> >
> > It's simpler to use (for example)
> >
> > # cat /etc/systemd/network/77-en0.link
> > [Match]
> > MACAddress=1c:1b:0d:9a:34:98
> > [Link]
> > Name=en0

/etc/systemd/network/ doesn't exist on my system. I presume I would just
need to create it for this to work? I haven't been able to persuade
packages.debian.org to tell me which package it belongs to.

> There's apparently also a package "ifrename" which makes writing these
> rules more user friendly. And doesn't place them in obscure places that
> change every release.

Thank you to both of you and to others for all your suggestions. Of course
if I'd read the release notes first I could have saved myself some time, but
they are usually aimed at upgrades rather than new installations and I
haven't performed any upgrades yet. I am curious as to what mechanism will
be used to preserve names on upgrades when reusing the kernel names is such
a bad idea.

Is everyone using their own custom naming schemes actually a good idea, or
would it be preferable to have some standardised names?

Roger

PS Feel free to tell me to go to Debian-User. I hoped the experience of a
"hobbyist" user would be a useful contribution.