Re: Inclusion of best practices for packaging database applications in Debian policy

Hi,

It has been pointed out to me that I didn't reply to the message below.

On 06/25/17 17:42, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 16:05:09 +0200, Paul Gevers <elbrus@debian.org>
> wrote:
>> Packages may provide support for removing underlying databases, but it
>> is highly recommended that the administrator is prompted with a chance
>> to preserve the data before doing so.
>
> It was mentioned that the document in question was written 12 years
> ago. In this time, it has become increasingly uncool to bother the
> local admin with debconf questions during package installation or
> removal. I won't comment on whether I find this tendency reasonable or
> not.
>
> This being said, does this document still reflect the current "spirit
> of Debian"?

I don't have any experience with writing or reviewing policy documents
and as the current maintainer of dbconfig-common am not sure if I have a
neutral mind on the current text. Therefore, I wasn't sure how to respond.

What I like to achieve is to have something in the policy. If the
current document is outdated, then let's update it and put it in policy.
The current document is the best we have now. How would be start a
review now that is likely to end up in policy? The review of 12 years
ago led to a stand-alone document that didn't receive much attention
later on.

Paul