Re: IMPORTANT: Do live Debian images have a future?

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 02:09:00PM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
>I'm a user and a tester, not a dev, and I know nothing (and don't
>want to know anything) about the personal politics between Debian
>developers.  So that's all I'll say on that subject.
>
>To Steve's original point:
>
>First, a big THANK YOU! to Steve for taking this job on.  I, for one,
>an grateful.
>
>I use Debian a lot, but I'm only an occasional user of the Debian
>Live images.  But when I need them, I need them. And when I need
>them, I want them to just work. If having them there and working when
>I need them means I have to add them to my list of things to test and
>report on, I'm willing to make that investment.
>
>Please add me to your "testers" list.

Thanks!

>PS: On a related topic:  What I think would be really cool, would be
>Debian Live images for some of the ARM architectures.  Something I
>could dd to a USB stick and boot right away when I get a new box in
>for testing.  Even cooler would be the ability to use that self-same
>live image to install Debian after the testing phase was over.

We have some armhf images for installation, but not for live yet. The
hard bit there is reliably *booting* an image on many of the
platforms. As more and more of them start supporting UEFI (if nothing
else, via the minimal U-Boot UEFI boot hacks) that will help. arm64
live images are on my todo list already for the buster cycle.

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt