Re: Please add lzip support in the repository

> [...]
> 4- As a result, lzip is almost never used alone (without xz), and Debian can
> justify forever the lack of lzip support
>
> You need to consider all four points to understand the issue.

No, please read again the mails previous developers wrote. Lzip is
considered if it is widely used, *not* if it is widely used *alone* as
the sole format.
So, if a huge number of projects starts to ship xz and lzip tarballs,
or gz and lzip tarballs, this would already provide a metric for
sufficient upstream interest to support lzip as source package format.

But just like other interated over countless of times, this is a very
long process Debian will not do lightly, nobody is stopping upstreams
from providing only lzip sources (in which case we would just
recompress the tarball at the moment) and lzip is already maintained
in Debian so any user who wants to use it, can use it.

So, lzip isn't adopted widely, that's certainly not because of Debian
or any other Linux distribution.

Cheers,
    Matthias