Re: Declarative packaging (Was: Re: Intended MBF: maintainer scripts not using strict mode)

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 06:34:01PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 27.06.2017 um 09:34 schrieb Niels Thykier:
> > After this, we need something other than triggers.  Triggers are great
> > for regenerating global caches but they are not good at delegating
> > targeted functionality out like:
> >
> >  * This package needs user X to be created dynamically with home set
> >    to H with login shell S.
>
> systemd provides a facility called systemd-sysusers which allows to
> describe system user accounts declaratively. Maybe we could leverage that.
>
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-sysusers.html

Indeed, and there is dh_sysuser already in the archive.

> >  * This package wants to enable and start service Y, but obviously first
> >    after creating user X (which the service runs as)
>
> Related to that, there is systemd-preset
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.preset.html
>
> If that would work for Debian is unclear to me.

(Yet) another attempt at declarative configuration is propellor.[1]  It
has a lot of good ideas relevant to initial package configuration.[2]

[1]  https://propellor.branchable.com/
[2]  http://joeyh.name/blog/entry/propellor_is_d-i_2.0/

--
Sean Whitton