Re: Intended MBF: maintainer scripts not using strict mode

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Christoph Biedl wrote:

> Let's be honest: Shell scripts, while easy to write, carry too many
> risks of unsafe programming. So while your proposed fixing is a step in
> the right direction, this is all just band-aid. We (as in Debian) should
> look forward and try to replace these maintainer scripts with something
> more error-prone. Niels has mentioned declarative approaches which seem
> like a good idea. No idea about the status, though, and I'm interested
> in details if there already are some.

I assume you meant *less* error-prone :)

For maintainer scripts that can't be converted to the declarative
approaches, I hope that folks are checking their scripts using the
various tools available to do that, especially shellcheck:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/check-all-the-things.git/tree/data/sh.ini

--
bye,
pabs