Re: Switch default installation image link?

On Jun 06, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:

> For a number of years, we've been linking to the amd64/i386 netinst
> installer image from the front page. I think it's time to just switch
> that to just an amd64 image for stretch now. The vast majority of the
> machines out there are now amd64, and we're asking people to download
> useless stuff in such cases. i386 users can still find an image for
> download.
Good idea.

> I'm *also* tempted to switch from the netinst to the first DVD image
> instead - network connections have improved a lot.
Bad idea: non-netinst images should be downloaded only by people who
need to install offline systems.
Everybody else will use less bandwidth AND will install Debian in
a shorter time (because if the network is fast then the limiting factor
will be the disk).

--
ciao,
Marco