Bug#864294: ITP: pycryptodome -- cryptographic library for Python
Owner: Christopher Hoskin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Package name : pycryptodome
Version : 3.4.6
Upstream Author : Legrandin <email@example.com>
* URL : http://www.pycryptodome.org/
* License : BSD-2-Clause / Unlicense
Programming Lang: Python / C
Description : cryptographic library for Python
PyCryptodome is a self-contained Python package of low-level
PyCryptodome is a fork of PyCrypto. It brings several enhancements
with respect to the last official version of PyCrypto (2.6.1),
* Authenticated encryption modes (GCM, CCM, EAX, SIV, OCB)
* Accelerated AES on Intel platforms via AES-NI
* First class support for PyPy
* Elliptic curves cryptography (NIST P-256 curve only)
* Better and more compact API (`nonce` and `iv` attributes for ciphers,
automatic generation of random nonces and IVs, simplified CTR cipher mode,
* SHA-3 (including SHAKE XOFs) and BLAKE2 hash algorithms
* Salsa20 and ChaCha20 stream ciphers
* scrypt and HKDF
* Deterministic (EC)DSA
* Password-protected PKCS#8 key containers
* Shamir's Secret Sharing scheme
* Random numbers get sourced directly from the OS (and not from a CSPRNG in userspace)
* Simplified install process, including better support for Windows
* Cleaner RSA and DSA key generation (largely based on FIPS 186-4)
* Major clean ups and simplification of the code base
PyCryptodome is not a wrapper to a separate C library like *OpenSSL*.
To the largest possible extent, algorithms are implemented in pure Python.
Only the pieces that are extremely critical to performance (e.g. block ciphers)
are implemented as C extensions.
I plan to maintain this package within the DPMT. I do not require a sponsor.