Re: policy for shipping sysctl.d snippets in packages?

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 20:22:45 +0200, Wouter Verhelst
<wouter@debian.org> wrote:
>The original question was "should I install defaults in /etc or /usr?"
>to which I replied that in Debian, we've traditionally done the former
>rather than the latter, and that the latter feels like a result of an
>ecosystem (other than ours) where dealing with conflicting changes to
>configuration files is frowned upon. I think our way is better, but I'm
>sure others disagree.

Just for the record: I agree.

>Regardless, traditionally we've been doing it "our" way, and therefore
>it seems reasonable to believe that our users will expect things to
>continue working "our" way. Whether that is better than the "other" way
>is besides the point that I was trying to make (even if I believe that
>to be true).

What Wouter says.

I find it already disturbing that we have diverged from "our" way in
systemd, which is probably the first package a local admin will be
exposed to.

Greetings
Marc